Since I have been writing papers, I have never once used Wikipedia as a source. My teachers always told me that it wasn't reliable and the information was normally incorrect. I have never even gone to Wikipedia to search for something. I go to google and type in whatever I'm searching for and normally when I see Wikipedia pop up as one of the options I normally don't chose that one. I just never trust it.
Because I never went to the site before I didn't know whether my teachers had always been right or not. Now that I have a project about wikipedia and it's accuracy I see that my teachers were right. I am doing my writing project on a Bennigan's article because I work there. Because I already know alot about the subject I thought it would be easy. As I was reading through it there were errors and a negative vibe throughout. They dwelled on certain things for far too long that were not nearly as important as others. I was not pleased with the things I found because of how they were organized and the way they were said.
I just wish that there was an online encyclopedia that was actually accurate, up to date, and reliable. It would be so much more helpful than pulling out an actual printed encyclopedia; plus it could include more current events and pop culture.
I completely agree with you. I never used wikipedia before on a paper and when our professor said to reserch some article through Wikipedia I had no idea why, ive just always have had bad idea about it and Wikipedia is NEVER a good idea to use on college assignments. After analyzing the article i finally realized why she assigned this to us; to exactly show us what wikipedia is. Hopefully your paper goes well, it was very well written when I peer reviewed it!! good job!
ReplyDeleteWhen we first started with this assignment, I had no idea why we would ever need to research a Wikipedia article. We've have had the phrase "Wikipedia cannot be used a source" drilled into our heads since we first started writing papers back in elementary school. Hearing all of the analyses of different topics has shown us that the reliability of Wikipedia greatly varies. This has, more or less, led us to the conclusion that we need to verify our sources. & I definitely have to agree with your last statement. Wouldn't it be so nice if there were a legitimate online encyclopedia that could be used as a source? If only...
ReplyDelete