I always feel like I am never done revising a paper. There is something always to be done to make it better and better. That is why it is hard for me to really be done with a paper and turn in a final copy. Right now we are working on our SECOND rough draft, and I'm glad. I hate just having one rough draft and then having to rush into a final draft.
When I begin my revisions, I start by looking at all the comments the person the edited it said. They are so helpful because they are things I don't always pick up on. Then I begin completely just rewriting the entire thing. Not opening the existing draft but having it out in front of me on the desk. I think that starting on a blank document allows more room for change. Whereas if you start from your existing draft, you are just changing certain sentences and adding this or deleting that. Its just easier to get the main points from your first draft and really putting some meat on the bones of the draft the was already existing. That's how a final draft really gets good. by changing and revising and revising and changing.
It is so hard to stop revising. Whenever I write a paper I feel like I am never finished with it. It is nice that we get to have multiple rough drafts. It takes some of the pressure off from revising all at once. Good luck with your essay and have fun revising!
ReplyDeleteBy rewriting your draft completely, you arent really revising as much as you are, well, quite frankly, rewriting. I would imagine that you could run into contextual errors if you rewrite your rough drafts for your final. I think that the final draft should only be a more touched up version of the previous drafts. Its an interesting idea though.
ReplyDelete