I've never really thought of my relationship with my grades being complicated. But I guess it kind of is. I always have paid attention in class and finished my homework on time and just assumed great grades would be handed to me. This happened all through high school for the most part because attendance and homework were a large portion of the grade, plus, doing the homework helped tremendously with the tests. It was sort of a one sided relationship where only one person is putting forth any effort to get what they want. That was me. Until I hit college I always thought achieving good grades was a fairly simple task. Now I have to study more hours than I am in class and actually try to make time for my work.
Now I know that I need to work hard in order to get what I want and my grades and I are pretty much on the same page for the most part. I try much harder than I did in high school and I feel so much more accomplished. The grades are worked for not just handed to me and it feels good. I know now that grades link to so many other aspects in life other than just the grades themselves. Confidence, parental support, financial support, furthering education, and career paths. It gives my a weird and almost powerful feeling knowing that I hold that much just with how much effort I wish to put forward.
I completely agree with you 110%. I received really good grades in high school, and it seemed really easy. I'm only a freshman, but I can already tell that college is going to be REALLY different. I'm prepared for it, but I was somewhat hoping that I wouldn't have to work that much harder than I did the past four years. I know what you mean also about feeling more accomplished after working hard to achieve a high grade. I put almost the same down in my blog post! =]
ReplyDeleteI have the same point of veiw on the matter. I never had a hard time with grades in high school. In fact aceing tests was second nature to me. Now that im 2 and a half years into my college career, ive found that i actually had to put effort into my work. great post!
ReplyDelete