Thank you notes are something that I feel are going by the wayside. I grew up writing thank you's to everyone for almost everything. My mom always told me that it is always appreciated and shows that you really were thankful. The only time I feel that thank you notes get to be too much is when you start thanking people for thanking you and there is this never ending cycle of thank you's.
One time in particular when I had to write A LOT of thank you letters was for my graduation party. We had around 300 people show up to it and I had to write that many thank you's. Most people when having to write that many letters write something like "Thanks for coming to my party and thank you for the gift of money". How boring. I switched it up and made each thank you personal and made sure everyone's said something different. After I sent them out, I had so many people telling me what a great job I did with them and how special they felt after reading it and knowing I actually was truly thankful for everything they had done. This is one time that really popped into my head when I thought of a time I was really proud of something I wrote that wasn't school related.
Jill, I agree with your opinion completely most people are tending to run away from the traditional thank you letters.
ReplyDeleteI had to do the same thing after my graduation party, I had a whole bunch of people show up and I wanted to make it sound different from the rest of the people so I tried to make it as personal as possible, unfortunately no one has told me that they thought they were any different from the other ones yet! But then again I have been really busy with sports, school and work so maybe they just haven't told me yet!
Jill, I must agree with you as well.
ReplyDeleteA thank you note, when done with originality, tells that person how much you appreciated their gift. It gives them a sense of satisfaction in knowing they did something that genuinely benefited you, and you get the same satisfaction in return. I do think you can over do it with thank you's, though. They should be reserved for special occasions. My father made me write thank-you's for any and every occasion.