Recruiting & Career Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Struggling

It was difficult for me to narrow down my topic of Bennigans, from my Wikipedia essay, to something usable for a research paper. I did a web diagram and decided on the recent non-smoking ban that all Michigan restaurants and public places have put in place. I plan to research business declines or possible raises. I also want to see how the ban has been for places like Florida and California. I would like to see how the ban is bad at first and possibly gets better as people get used to it.

I know that personally it was hard for me to get used to as well. I work at Bennigan's so I was always asking people "smoking or non" and it is really nice to not have to think about that and there is more available seating for everyone. Also, it is really nice coming home and not smelling terribly of old smoke. I think that it will take the smokers some getting used to but the ban is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I was a smoker until about 7 months ago and i found that The ban was great. Even tho i smoked i still injoyed going out and not having to eat in a smoke filled restaurant I feel that if you can't go to dinner and sit for 1 hour and not have a cigarette you ahev bigger problems than you think. I do not agree with the bans at the bars tho I think that when someone goes to a bar they usually go to the bar to drink and smoke shot pool and dance and that that is one place that smoking should still be allowed. hopefully you do well with your paper and all goes good for you in youe class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you actually about the bar thing. A restaurant where food is served and children are around is one thing to ban but an all adult atmosphere where people are there knowing there will be smoke is completely different. In bars, it is expected that there will be people smoking. When people drink they tend to want to smoke more. When the bars went non smoking, a lot of people I know didn't want to go anymore because they did not want to stand outside to smoke a cigarette.

    ReplyDelete