Recruiting & Career Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

never finished

Research papers are so hard because you're never quite done all the way. There is always more to be added or taken out and redone. I am having difficulty getting everything into the paper without sounding repetitive. I also feel that as I keep researching, I tend to drift away from my research question and just start researching the main point of my paper. Then halfway through I remember that I have the question that needs to be answered. It is a long and consuming process for sure. But I feel that it is finally coming along.

4 comments:

  1. I hate it when I drift from my original research question. I usually find quite a bit of good information and start implementing it into my paper before I realize that it isn't even what my paper is really about. And like you said, it was really difficult to avoid sounding repetitive. It was in the discussion and results section where I had the most difficulty. I wasn't sure at times where to put what. Anyway, I'm glad we're finished with this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a terrible time with drifting in the first draft. Three or Four times I had to just cut a complete paragraph out because it went completely off of my question.

    Must agree with you Luke. My abstract sounded way too identical to my intro, and my methods section just sounded awkward. If we were doing a scientific study, it would make sense to include it, but in our situation everyone was going to write "I looked at a bunch of documents because..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with all of you. I had to rearrange and re-write many of my paragraphs because they just didn't seem to fit with the main point of my essay.
    Jill- I am glad that you finally figured out where to go with your paper. We were both pretty confused there for a while haha. Thanks again for the help with the 'methods' section because I didn't have the slightest clue about what to write for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad we are done with this assignment as well, Luke. Research papers are always so draining. I feel like they are much more work than they really are and I get myself all worked up. Mary, I am glad that you also figured out how to work your methods section. It got really confusing with all my different research material all thrown around. It took my the most time just organizing everything than actually writing my paper!

    ReplyDelete